Monday, January 9, 2012

Just some more thoughts

There is a common misconception about girls with eating disorders.  I've experienced it myself.  I've noticed that when I've gained weight people tend to think that means I'm doing better.  It's quite the opposite though.  When I've put on weight the eating disordered thoughts are so strong.  I'm more unhappy and it's harder.  Just because someone doesn't look emaciated doesn't mean that they are doing better.  And just because someone has never been "bad enough" to be hospitalized, it doesn't mean they're hurting any less...and eating disorder is a eating disorder...and it's hell for anyone no matter what.

Another thing I've been thinking about is the fine line between obsession and disorder.  In this world there are so many different diets, pills, exercise programs.  Expectations of what women should look like drives many women past being health conscience...to obsession and maybe even to an eating disorder.  Ladies...it's so easy to cross those lines.  The pressure on women is overwhelming.  It's easy to stand in front of a mirror and pick out all the flaws.  It's easy to start feeling guilty about eating.  It's easy to start weighing yourself every day, count calories, prioritize losing weight above everything else.  Stop the cycle now.  It's true we all need to take care of our bodies...feed them nutritious food and exercise them, but we need to take care of our minds too.  You have to find the beauty in yourself.  This is something I still need to work on, but I'm trying to appreciate my body.

I guess what I'm saying is catch yourself before obsession takes over.  Tell yourself you're beautiful everyday...because you are.

5 comments:

  1. Great post. So true and we can't be reminded of this often enough. I hope I can remember this and I hope I can teach my children to appreciate their bodies and know that they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Bekah! And Beth, I love your comment about teaching your children to appreciate their bodies & know they're beautiful. I read a really interesting book called Stick Figure a couple of years ago. It was the author's diary from when she was 10 or 11 (can't remember the specifics). Anyway, it really popped out to me how much her mother/older women influenced her idea of what women look like & how beauty is defined. Definitely made me realize how important it is to work on a healthy self image NOW. How we feel about ourselves really does impact our children.

    Great blog, Bekah. So glad you're sharing this insight with us.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this Rebekah...so true! I am also learning how important it is to appreciate and love my body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, telling yourself in front of the mirror that you are beautiful is a great way to start your day. People suffering with eating disorders needs to be reminded how lucky they are to have a supportive friends and families, this together with bulimia rehab can help one end her battle with bulimia.

    ReplyDelete