Sunday, December 4, 2011

Introduction


I’m starting this blog for two purposes. One, to try to educate loved ones of those struggling with eating disorders and two, let others in my position know that they are not alone in there struggle.  I have so much to share about my journey, my battles, and my insights.

I am what they call “in recovery” from anorexia. I went to a center for four months and it literally saved my life. I began to feel alive again there, but all too soon those thoughts were taking over again. Yes…I am still in recovery, but it is a battle everyday that has continued to become harder and harder.

My first memories of body image troubles were when I was 7 years old. I was on my way to the zoo with my best friend at the time and I couldn’t help but notice that her thighs were skinnier than mine. I don’t know why it bothered me so much, but I couldn’t think of anything else the whole trip. As I grew older it became a dangerous obsession. Even after years of in-patient and out-patient therapy, I still get a sick, anxious feeling when I’m around another girl that’s skinnier than me. But...I have taken steps and tried to push those feeling away, as hard as it is.  I feel like there is strong side of me that is a monster feeding me lies, but I’d like to believe that the other side of me is stronger.  I work hard for that

No matter what I will keep fighting these thoughts of worthlessness and anger. I will not let them defeat me. It would be so easy to relapse. I feel comfort in my eating disorder.  It has been with me for years.  Without it it's hard to know who I am.  But I know I will never reach my goals while it has a hold on my life and soul.

Now to the families that have loved ones facing this battle. So often it is believed that eating disorders are just about wanting to be skinny. The remedy seems simple. “just eat” I’ve been told.  For some, maybe it is all about being skinny, but most of us have deeper problems that manifest themselves through eating disorders. When I was young the expectations of what and who I should be were high…and I felt that I could never live up to them. I would never be perfect, but I knew I could control what my body looked like. It was the only thing I could control. I hated everything about myself, but I knew I could love my body if only I could be thin enough.  I could be perfect in that sense.  I felt that I had nothing else going for me and nothing else I was good at.  Food was the enemy and i felt so powerful when i didn't cave in to the tempation to eat and heartbroken and worthless when i couldn't resist.   I gave up dreams, relationships, and my health to achieve this idea of “perfection” I had in my mind. Nothing else mattered but reaching my goal. The comments from people saying I looked unhealthy and unattractive were the best complements to me.

When I was at my lowest weight I felt the most beautiful I have ever felt. My bones protruding were my favorite thing to see and feel. They proved to me that i did have control and while i could never live up to what was pushed on me and expected of me, I had one success that was mine alone...a goal I myself lived up to.

 But eventually it started to kill me.  I couldn't dance anymore, i couldn't walk for long before my heart started palpitating   I had to make the hardest choice i had ever made then.  At some point I decided my life was worth saving, i got treatment, and here I am. Still fighting and still struggling to keep those self destructive thoughts from my mind. Some days are better than others, but I keep trying and never give up…because I have to believe that life can and will be better than this someday.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting us to read. It was very inspiring! I'm proud of you! I look forward to hearing more. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your attitude of determination is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bekah, I think this is the best idea ever! I admire you for "putting it all out there." Although it's hard to hear the pain you've gone through I think we all will be better educated and able to be more supportive as we read your thoughts and feelings. I know others who have loved ones who battle simalar battles. I look forward to passing this along to help their families. I think this is such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bekah,
    Thank You for sharing your heart with us. Your post is very educational and I am so grateful to you for sharing your story. I love you sister, and I admire you in so many ways. I have witnessed your strength and I am a better person because I know you. Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see your writing, and to see that you're still fighting. Look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is such a great idea for you to start a blog. I'm sure it takes a lot of guts to put it all out there. I hope you don't mind if I keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really appriciate the comments and feedback. thank you all

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rebekah. I have debated whether or not to go "anonymous" with this comment, but I've decided that I am okay with everyone knowing my story. I don't have severe life-threatening experiences as part of my story, but I feel that I have a story nonetheless, and I get so weary of my struggle sometimes. I would really like to read more books and become better informed about eating disorders and "food obsession", so that I can figure out how to stop worrying all the time.

    My problem is not my weight. I have always been in the "healthy" weight range. But ever since I was a young teenager (over 20 years ago), I have worried about my weight. I started exercising then, to see if I could improve my body. I always wanted to be one of "those" girls with the "perfect body". You know, like those not-even-real people on the covers of magazines.

    I too was a dancer for a few years, but I gave it up when my body started developing and my dance teacher and even my dad told me that I did not and would never have a "dancer's body". I became a singer instead, which I love.

    The ironic thing is, my need to control things in my life sounds similar to yours, only I have always been UNsuccessful at controlling my eating habits. The only reason I don't have anorexia or bulimia is because I love eating too much. I love food, it is heavenly to me, and I love eating. It is also surprising to me that I am not more overweight. I am too afraid of being obese to eat more than I do, so I am blessed with the ability to stop eating when I feel full. However, I almost always wish I could eat way less, and way healthier than I do. I almost always feel guilty when I'm eating anything that's not purely vegetables or fruit or anything 100% "good for you". I really hate dealing with this constant guilt and worry.

    There are days when I love my body, and I appreciate that I'm in the "healthy" range (as defined by doctors, according to my height, etc.). And I'm so grateful that my husband loves me just the way I am. I just wish that I could love me that way too.

    I also wish that I could really exercise strictly for fun and because it makes me strong and feel good, instead of exercising out of fear. Fear of being "fat".

    I feel like I have pretty good control on all of the other areas of my life, except for this one. Why can't I weigh what I want to weigh? I honestly believe that I would be "happy" if I could lose 5-15 pounds and stay there forever, but who knows, if I ever did get there, I might want to keep losing. God has blessed me with the inability to control my weight, but has also given me the challenge of not being satisfied with where I am.

    So, Rebekah, I am grateful for the chance to learn what you have to share with us. I hope that I can learn to love myself (my body) too, as much as Heavenly Father loves me and you.

    Meanwhile, I love to cling to inspiring statements like this one from Stephanie Nielson, a victim of an airplane crash who survived burns on 80% of her body...she says, "I am Stephanie Nielson, and I am not my body."

    Thanks for being willing to share your story with me. You are great!! Let's continue to learn and strengthen each other through sharing! Hugs : )...
    Jenna (Clark's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you so much Bekah! Your the best and I am so proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenna, thank you for sharing that. You are beautiful inside and out, and I feel lucky to have you as a sister-in-law. It's so easy for us as women to slide from normal desires to be attractive into obsessive thinking. I don't know why the Lord has giving us this challenge, but I do know that he will help us control out thoughts and break out of habits of negative thinking. As Bekah points out, it's a long road, but I'm so proud of her for her huge efforts. When I look for help from the Lord, his unfailing answer is, "You are enough. You are beautiful. You are my daughter." I guess that's why we are supposed to pray often, because it's so easy to forget those simple truths. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but that's what helps me. I love you, Jenna. And I love you, Bekah. Thanks for starting this great blog.

    ReplyDelete